There are a variety of ways to make Japanese Dashi. This is my “go-to” version as it requires no heating and takes 2 min to make.
I learned this from hubby’s mother. She’s 100% Japanese and is an amazing cook. I get really excited when she announced she’ll be feeding us.
All you do is soak the ingredients in water and leave it in the fridge over night (the longer you soak it, the stronger the flavour).
- 1 L water pitcher
- 3″ x 2″ piece of Kombu (kelp)
- 2 dried Shiitake mushrooms
- Soak Kombu & Shiitake mushrooms in 1 L water pitcher.
- Place pitcher in fridge to soak over night (or longer for stronger flavour).
- Use Dashi in recipes that call for it (ie. miso soup)
Tip 1 : Ensure ingredients are fully submerged in water to prevent molding.
Tip 2: You can refill pitcher 2-3 times and re-soak the ingredients to make more Dashi before discarding them.
Tip 3: You can use just the Kombu and the Dashi will be just as good.