I’m gonna be honest, I haven’t had a restaurant version that I like. But it has all the ingredients that I love so I decided to make my own version of it.
Nothing beats having THIS + Vietnamese iced coffee on a Saturday morning. If I feel even fancier, I add in a side salad.
This makes a 1 person portion.
- 1 cup of tomato sauce (homemade or from a jar)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 sliced onions
- 1 tbsp of butter + 1 tbsp of olive oil (I like mixing the two to prevent butter from burning)
- 1 tbsp of chili powder, 1 tbsp of paprika, optional: cumin.
- Your choice of fresh herb (I like basil)
- Salt, peppers, sugar
- One egg
- Optional: 0.5 cups of cherry/grape tomatoes
- Optional: 1 cup of chopped spinach
- Optional: 1/3 cup of chicken/vegetable broth
- Toast slices of baguettes/bread in the oven till crispy – You’re dipping this into the sauce.
- Melt butter and add chopped garlic and onions into the pan (Low-med heat).
- Add tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, dilute it with 1/3 cup of water/chicken/vegetable broth.
- Add chili powder and paprika.
- Add chopped spinach.
- Add salt, pepper, and sugar to taste (The sugar is for balancing the acidity of the tomato sauce.).
- Reduce the sauce to your thickness preference.
- Create a well in the middle of the pan and crack in one egg.
- Cover pan for approx. 2 min/when egg whites are set. (I like my egg soft boiled. You can cook it to your personal preference).
- Garnish with fresh herb.
- Transfer to a bowl/deep plate and dip in your choice of carbs (bread/naan)
Tip 1: You can replace your bread/naan with crispy oven roasted sweet potatoes.
Tip 2: The core items the tomato sauce and the egg. Everything else is fair game to be modified.